HERITAGE HOUSE GARDEN & MUSEUM
museum, housed in a Victorian cottage, depicting elements of home life
and costume spanning over a hundred years, in permanent and changing
exhibits. In the late 1990's, a gazebo and gardens transformed the
yard into a backdrop for weddings and social events. Open noon to 3
p.m. most Saturdays, and 1-3 p.m. most Sundays. Rain closes. Free.
126 S. Mason St., Arroyo Grande, CA. 489-8282
The Heritage House was built in the late 1800's.
Records show that the house was sold to Charles A. Pitkin in 1895. In 1906 the house
was sold to Dr. H. S. Walters and was known as "Dr. Walter's Sanatorium".
In 1948 after many owners, the house was changed into
a duplex and the Travis and Roundtree families were the occupants. In 1961 the
Roundtree's sold the house to the Travis's. Then in 1976 the house was sold to the
City of Arroyo Grande and was used as a daycare center. It also housed the City
The Historical Society acquired the house in 1997
and did major restoration work to turn it into a visitor's center and museum. A
gazebo and garden were added to provide a beautiful setting for weddings and other social
events. Volunteers from the Historical Society, local residents and local businesses
provided manpower and funds for this undertaking.
The museum has an interesting collection of period clothing,
photographs and kitchen items, just to name a few and docents are available to
answer any of your questions.